Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Holly Jolly Pink and Purple Christmas Table

My early days of hosting dinner party taught me to take extra time and attention to make a beautiful table setting. It's an essential piece to setting the tone of your evening.

As a college student with a limited budget, which was mostly spent on the food and booze, I ended up rooting around my mom's old holiday decor to find inspiration and mix and match old and new items to create a unique and beautiful evening for my friends.

2008 was my fifth year of hosting a Christmas dinner party for friends. I had already done the traditional red and green, white and gold, blue and silver and any combination of those colors in the previous years. So I went bold with the girly combination of pink and purple, accenting with silver and gold.

I covered the table a basic white table cloth. On top of which I layered a sheer gold fabric to add not only color but texture. I recycled the gold chargers from years before. Topped with a simple white dinner plate with a festive gold and pink detailing. The purple napkins and champagne glasses were a find at a local garage sale the summer before and fit nicely into this holiday party color scheme. I wrapped each napkin with festive garland with clear crystals to enhance the sparkle.

The centerpiece came to me while standing in the holiday aisle at a local craft store. I simple filled a martini glass with different sized and color pink ornaments. Those stood on either side of a cake stand covered in a matching napkin with a recycled silver tree and pink and purple votive holders. To add a bit of whimsy I also used purse name card holders and found a few colorful packages to place around the table.
By simply looking at old things around the house and enhancing with a few new items this Pink and Purple Christmas dinner came together wonderfully. It was a nice change of pace for me and my guest. But my creative use of colors only elevated the bar for future parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment